Our mission is to “greenify” our events through conventional and creative means that will have an enduring positive impact on our environment and community.
TEDxHonolulu views our events both as an opportunity to avoid waste, reduce energy consumption, and reduce our overall carbon footprint— as well as a way to encourage similar stewardship and make sustainability accessible to our volunteers, attendees, speakers and partners.
Thanks to our Sustainability Team, in 2014 TEDxHonolulu earned a Green Event Certification from Hawai‘i’s Green Business Awards Program.
ATTENDEES AND VOLUNTEERS: There is a lot YOU can do to help us be “green” at all our events, and make as little impact on resources and materials as possible!
Consider alternative transportation:
• Take TheBus — Our main events take place at locations easily serviced by public transportation.
• Walk, skip, jog, roller-skate, rollerblade, sprint! — Relish in the fact we have the perfect weather to get anywhere by foot!
Consider these alternative options daily as well:
• Bring your own water bottles/cup. Walk around with your favorite mug from home.
• Bring your own re-usable take out utensils. Avoid the need for one-time use utensils with your own re-usable set.
• Consider a local, organic, vegetarian or vegan meal. For many of us, sustainability includes eating meals that are vegetarian or vegan and use local and organic ingredients. As awareness grows of the role our food supply plays in the sustainability of our communities, the availability of vegetarian, vegan, local and organic options at our favorite restaurants is increasing. Research shows that the process of raising animals for food (including the large volume of feed that must be grown) requires significantly more land and water than vegetables. Were happy to announce that caterers for events always offer vegetarian options!
• Reduce and recycle. The event’s program is printed double sided and on 30% post consumer recycled paper, but don’t let it go to waste!
• Download the program off the TEDxHonolulu site and onto your smart phone in lieu of taking one at the event OR Share one program among your friends AND Recycle on your way out! We’ll have bins or bags conveniently placed to collect unwanted programs to be recycled after events.
If you’d like to become involved in our Sustainability Team, please contact us at email@example.com